For the first time this month the driveway is fairly clear and there is not a speck of snow on the sidewalk. After three very cold weeks with temperatures below zero and a total of nearly a foot of snow, everyone was ready for a sunny Saturday and Sunday. Your family was likely more excited than most. You took the forecast to heart and left town for the bakehouse as soon as everyone was done with work and school on Friday afternoon. This, of course, would not be a time when you would have any of the personal watercraft out, but everyone. was excited to at least enjoy the long back porch, the dock, or the trails around the cabin. It may only be the middle of winter, but with a beautiful lake house at your disposal, it is a great place to escape whenever your schedules allow.
Families with lake houses often find themselves celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas, and occasional other long weekend near the water, but it is the summer when the activities are in full swing. From long afternoons out on personal watercraft to late evenings with the entire family on the pontoon boat, a lake house can serve as a perfect investment.
Water Sports Are Great Ways to Create Lasting Memories with Family and Friends
Even if you do not own your own lake house, it is possible to enjoy plenty of time near the water by renting cabins, patio boats, or wake boarding equipment. In fact, there are many full service marinas that offer not only the personal watercrafts that you might want to use for a week’s vacation at the lake, but groceries and other needs sundries as well. A recent survey indicated that as many as 87 million U.S. adults participate in recreational boating and the fact that nearly 19.6% of Millennials participate in water sports is an early indication that the popularity of spending time on the water will continue.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the many times when a day at the lake can be the perfect solution for many families:
- As an increasingly popular sport, in 2016 alone, there were approximately 2.91 million U.S. participants in wakeboarding.
- In the year 2017 alone, 13.4% of the U.S. population participated in water sports.
- Although you had to stand up to ride the first jet skis. advances in the 1980s changed the way these personal watercraft were designed.
- Today, jet skis can accommodate one to four adults depending on the model, and the motor sizes can allow the craft to reach high speeds between 15 and 60 miles per hour.
- Having the right kind of equipment is important if you want to make sure that you are safe. For instance, wakeboarding ropes are usually longer than wakesurfing ropes. The ideal wakeboard rope, in fact, is between 52 and 78 feet.
- When wakesurfing, the surfer trails behind a motorboat on a small surfboard that is typically five feet in length.
Winter can seem like the longest of months, especially if yours has included clearing the driveway and sidewalks of snow. Fortunately, like many things in life, weather changes. Perhaps it is for this reason that a number of families take every opportunity that they have to spend a weekend at the lake, even in the middle of winter. Whether you are already planning for the summer weeks when you will vacation at the lake or you are just looking for a small window of time when you can escape for the weekend, it is important to make your plans as early as possible. People who own their own lake houses often have to perform off season maintenance on water craft. And families who are planning to rent a cabin on the lake need to get their reservations made earlier rather than later.
What are your plans once this winter weather is gone for good? Are you ready to join the increasing number of people who spend as much time as possible at the lake? Does an afternoon out on a pontoon or personal watercraft sound like the very best way to spend your days? Now is the time to plan.